Not really an FAQ...
Some answered questions
- How do I use my Axis Network Camera with motion?
- netcam_url http://192.168.0.24/jpg/image.jpg returns only ONE
For Motion you should point the netcam_url to
- Is it possible to have recording enabled only during a
specified timeframe ?
- Let cron start and stop motion detection using the XML-RPC
interface and the program motion-control.
motion-control detection pause [threadnr]
motion-control detection resume [threadnr]
- Can Motion conduct motion detection without having
to record any picture or mpg file
- Yes, motion can run without recording images.
Just set "output_normal no" in the config file.
For snapshots, use "snapshots 10" and snapshot_overwrite in the config
file to create a new snapshot every 10 seconds, overwriting the previous
include 'tail.inc'; ?>
Ideas for Stable Motion
- Known patches:
- alg_diff_fast() normalise step size according to image. step =
(width*height)/10000. Randomise line start so points aren't sampled in rows.
- New lightswitch code and other fixes (Daniel Sterling).
- XMLRPC and FFMpeg close patches at virtualconstructors.com
- Capability to draw text from
Steffen Haas. Why need to use "+" for space?
- Despeckle and reference image patches
- Start/stop scripts for Debian/Redhat/Suse/etc.
- Anything to help maintainers of deb/rpm/etc packages?
- onstart, onexit, onmotionstart and
onmotionstop hooks. Usage:
- onstart can be used to initialise camera. This hook must block!
Should allow removal of input, norm and frequency options.
- onexit could be used to send email or even restart motion. Default could be "unconfigured motion.conf".
- onmotionstart hook (same as execute?)to call when
motion is detected. It shouldn't interfere with recording motion, but could
record sound. Should allow removal of sms and email options.
- onmotionend hook to call when motion stops (Same as onmpeg?)
- Read config files from motion.d/ directory. Hence motion.conf will
contain system-wide default options and may be overwritten in install. Any
files in motion.d will be user files and not touched.
- motion-control and motion-conf man pages
- Change "motion-control conf write" to output to console!
- Fix README.axis and FAQ files so they're up to date
Ideas for Experimental Motion
- Miini image (web) server that reads a directory full of images and sends them as if it were a webcam. To be used for testing, benchmarking and accuracy tests.
- Read from mjpeg stream.
- Remove width, height options. Motion should get image and see how big it
- Normalise motion options to be independent of image size. eg threshold
- A check to see if motion is alive and a way to get it exit gracefully.
- Verbose option to show what motion is doing and specifically where motion exits if there are problems reading configuration script.
- Tidy up user interface:
- Better error reporting (Don't send errors to syslog if not a daemon)
- Tidy up of motion-control. Don't need "conf" option, just motion-control get/set will do
- Unify mutually exclusive options in to one. eg videodevice and netcam
- Can onmotionstart hook be used to remove database stuff?
Likewise onmotionstop to tidy up motion jpegs
- Internationalisation. Nationalise config files, error messages and man pages.
- Make motion diff image include hue and value information.
- Image overlay?